Friday, January 31, 2014

Tough to Explain My Reading Behavior

I'm greatly enjoying the new Richard Powers novel Orfeo, which I received last week; but oddly I find myself more often picking up the Bach biography I received the same day, when I'm looking for a relaxing read before bed. I seem to be opting for the historical composer, of whose life I already know a great deal, over the fictional composer, of whom I am just learning (and despite our shared reverence of Mahler).

Perhaps I'm just in a more non-fiction-oriented mood these days. Or, perhaps Gardiner's bio of Bach is just so compelling that it takes precedence even over my favorite living novelist, writing on musical themes in a vein similar to my favorite ever novelist, Thomas Mann.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.