Saturday, September 21, 2013

Who Says You Cant Go Home Again?

Dr. Jim and I drove up to Indy today for a big group ride that included several close friends of mine, who I haven't seen all summer (mainly because I haven't gotten up to Indy for any previous rides). The group rode from the Nebo Ridge Bike Shop in Zionsville up to Frankfort and back, a total of 80 miles. The pace was faster than advertised (as usual). I didn't mind so much riding into a headwind gusting up to 20 mph at an average speed of 20-23 mph; after all, I was in my usual position at the back of the group. But when we turned into a crosswind, keeping the pace was quite challenging.

Jim and I turned around at Kirklin, along with Bob Brooks and Brian Murphy, who hadn't planned to ride the entire route. The four of us only rode a total of 57 miles (at an average speed of 19.4 mph), but we also had a very nice lunch together at the local El Rodeo before Jim and I started the long drive back home.

It was great to see David, Larry, Scott (both Synder and Yates), big Frank, Phelgar, Sandy Raynor, and many other old friends and acquaintances. Unfortunately, as most of them were riding at the front, while I was sitting in at the back, we didn't have much time to catch up. Of course, we all missed Tim Wozniak, who is still out of action with a broken hip. But I'm sure I wasn't the only one thinking of him during the ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.