Thursday, June 6, 2013

I Was Wrong about "Justice Obama"

I used to think he was better suited to the Supreme Court than the Presidency. I was wrong; I now believe him to be unsuited to either position. Apparently, as far as he is concerned, the Fourth and Fifth Amendments to the Constitution provide no real impediments to Executive power, whether the issue is drone strikes against Americans abroad, the treatment of all Americans who travel abroad as presumptive criminals upon their return to the US, the Justice Department's seizure of press reporters' phone records, or the establishment of a massive surveillance state keeping tabs on every phone call (and perhaps every email message) we make, regardless of warrant. As a self-described "constitutional lawyer," he should be ashamed of himself (and of his Attorney General).

UPDATE: I don't know about anyone else, but I feel so much better after having President Obama's assurances (here) that the surveillance program, which amounts to the US government spying on its own citizens, is "necessary" (and therefore constitutional?) and that adequate safeguards (against?) are in place. After all, the president has everything in the Executive Branch under control these days, doesn't he?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.