Sunday, April 21, 2013

Great Weekend of Cycling (but Not for Me)

A group of my cycling buddies from Indy came down for a ride and to watch the Little 500 men's race yesterday. Pity I couldn't ride with them since I came down with a nasty cold the day before. On Friday I did get over to Armstrong Stadium to watch the finale of the women's Little 5 race and to root on Emma Caughlin and her Teter teammates.

Yesterday, unfortunately, I had to watch the men's race on TV. The Betas won in a very exciting finish. Special congratulations on a very strong ride to Matt Green. Matt's dad Ken is a good friend and cycling buddy, and I've watched Matt mature into a super-strong cyclist over the last 5 years or so. It was great to see him and his teammates celebrating a well-earned victory.

Finally congrats to Dan Martin (Garmin-Sharp) for winning Liege-Bastogne-Liege. His team played a great strategy with Ryder Hesjedal attacking from several kilometers out. When he was pegged back, Dan Martin stuck on the back of the lead group, and finished the job Hesjedal started. Martin becomes only the second Irishman ever (after Sean Kelly) to win the oldest of pro cycling's spring classics.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.