Thursday, April 25, 2013

ALPS 4

I'm in Minneapolis for the 4th Annual Meeting of the Association for Law, Property, and Society (ALPS). The program is chock full of interesting papers and panels (see here). I'm on a plenary roundtable on Saturday to talk about Lin Ostrom's influence and lessons for property scholars. I'm always honored to represent and talk about Lin and the Workshop she created with her husband Vincent. One of the questions our panel will be addressing is how Lin's work is influencing our own current projects. Fortunately, I'm involved in a number of Workshop-related projects that are extending Lin's projects and methods of analysis. It should be fun.

UPDATE: The opening plenary panel is on various approaches to property law research, including property theory, doctrinal, socio-legal, empirical, historical/cultural, "applied" (whatever that means), and geographical. Notice anything missing from that list? Did the organizers simply believe that economics has nothing to do or say about the structure of property law? This cannot be a case of simple neglect, can it? Definitely makes me feel like an outsider (although I know others here who use economic analysis, at least from time to time, in their property research).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.