Monday, March 11, 2013

Cycling Buddies

Having failed all winter to get up to Indy for any indoor-training sessions with Coach Bob and the rest of the group, I finally made it up last week for the final session of the season, which happily coincided with the birthday of Sandy Raynor, widow of our dear friend and colleague Karl Raynor. Many of my closest friends in the world were at the session, and we all went out for dinner afterwards.

I suffered a mishap even before the training session started: my seat clamp bolt broke and I tumbled from the bike, gaining a few cuts, scrapes, a sore hip, and wounded pride. Fortunately, Coach Bob found a stand-by bike (albeit a bit small for me); Larry helped me swap out the pedals; and I got the seat height adjusted well enough - just in time to start the first set.

Coach Bob has more on the training session, our friend Karl, his wife Sandy, and all the afters at his blog, here.

Here are a couple of pics from the training session, courtesy of friend and teammate Adam Perler, who in  addition to being an excellent podiatrist, is also a very strong cyclist (he'll be competing in the Master's national track races this summer) and a gift photographer (see his website here). Note the yellow heart-shaped patches on the jersey sleeves, which display a well-muscled arm and the initials "KR," in honor of our friend Karl.



The old-guys row (from right to left): Phelgar, the good Dr. (giving the thumbs up), Larry, Woz, and me.





















Happy Birthday Sandy! (I was happy to see her riding a beautiful Bianchi). From left to right: Kenny G., Woz, Larry, Phelgar, Coach Bob, me, Sandy, Big Frank, Terry, and Dave.

























And just to show what a wizard Adam is with a camera, he actually makes me look like I belong on a bike!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.