Wednesday, March 27, 2013

"CBS Morning Advertising"

They actually call the show "CBS Morning News." I'm not a fan of morning news shows generally (or any network shows, for that matter), although I do like Charlie Rose, one of the co-hosts of the CBS program, which my spouse likes to watch it in the morning. I sat with her this morning and watched a segment during which Charlie and his co-host "interviewed" the president of Showtime, ostensibly to talk about the effects of changes in the way cable television providers are charging for delivery of programming.

During the interview, they discussed and showed clips from one or two of Showtime's original programs. Indeed, the overall tenor of the interview struck me as more of an advertisement for Showtime and its programs than an analysis of changes in how programming is delivered. So, just out of curiosity, I did a quick Google search and learned that Showtime is a wholly-owned subsidiary of CBS (see here). Surprise, surprise. Shouldn't the interviewers at least have an ethical obligation to disclose such a conflict (or, perhaps more appropriately in this case, coincidence) of interest?

Ironically, the CBS Morning News' disguised advertisement for Showtime came just after the show had criticized the bad taste of Nike's new advertisement for Tiger Woods.

Now you know why I usually do not watch so-called "news" programming (aside from the PBS Newshour, which I watch occasionally). It tends to be corrupted by network marketing concerns (i.e., self-advertising) and untrustworthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.