Saturday, January 5, 2013

The AALS Annual Meeting in New Orleans

I'm in New Orleans at the Annual Meeting of the Association of American Law Schools, a meeting I don't often attend. As conferences go, I've found it to be not very useful. But this year, they've added substantial value to the conference by offering 1.5-day workshops in empirical methodologies (both quantitative and qualitative). Yesterday afternoon and all day today I'm taking Ted Eisenberg's workshop in quantitative empirical analysis using STATA software. I'm not sure I intend to conduct my own quantitative empirical analyses in future, but this workshop surely will help me interrogate, interpret, and understand the many empirical studies I read. Beyond that, I always find it exciting to actually learn (even if I can only grasp it, at least initially, at an elementary level) a new skill.

Aside from the 1.5 day training session, I'll just be attending a couple of the environmental/natural resources/property sessions on Sunday and Monday morning. I have more to write about those sessions later. In the meantime, I'm just busy relearning some basic statistics, along with learning for the first time STATA commands and procedures. Really, it's more fun than it sounds.

And, of course, being in New Orleans I'm eating a lot of good food. My wife and both kids are with me on the trip, hanging out with my sister and her family, who live here in NO. They know all the great neighborhood eateries that tourists usually never get to, such as Liuzza's, where we ate last night.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.