Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Jeffrey Sachs on Acemoglu and Robinson

Here. I'm still trudging my way through Acemoglu and Robinson's massive tome on Why Nations Fail? In light of my comment from the other day (here), I thought I would share with you a trenchant critique offered up by Jeffrey Sachs, economist and Director of the Earth Institute at Columbia University. I concur in Sachs's opinion, also shared with the geographer Jared Diamond (see here), that while institutions matter a great deal for economic success (or failure), they are not all that matter. Geography also matters, if not as much as some geographers (sometimes including Diamond) would have us believe. There is no more reason to be an "institutional determinist" than a "geographical determinist."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.