Saturday, January 14, 2012

Iron (Creepy) Lady

I'm not much of a movie goer, so I can't pretend to be a movie critic. But I went to see The Iron Lady this evening, and was struck by a few things: (1) the theater, in my highly-educated and politically-aware college town, was very sparsely populated for the opening weekend of a much touted new film concerning a major political figure, featuring a great cast (any Liberal distaste for the Conservative Thatcher should have been at least somewhat offset by the fact that she was being portrayed by the Liberal Streep); (2), perhaps partly explaining (1), the entire film was really, really creepy; (3) Meryl Streep, as virtually everyone has noted, was astonishing in the lead role; and (4) several of the scenes were unnecessarily, almost painfully, loud, which seems to be a trend in films (or perhaps I'm just increasingly sensitive to high volumes as I grow older).

Iron Lady is a very affecting, even disturbing, film. But I'm not sure I could recommend it, except as a lesson on how truly great actors are able to completely inhabit characters.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.