Saturday, August 28, 2010

A Tale of Two Rallies

There were two rallies in Washington, D.C. today that made me very glad to be home in Indianapolis. One was a Tea Party rally led by Beck University President, and self-proclaimed messenger from God, Glenn Beck. His own speech, on this anniversary of Martin Luther King's "I Have a Dream" speech, was labeled by one wag (here), "I Have a Nightmare."

Meanwhile, in a different part of DC, the not-so-very Reverend Al Sharpton led a rally in apparent opposition to Beck's rally. Both sought to "reclaim" the civil rights movement of the 1960s. And I didn't even know it had been lost.

Are these really the two best "leaders" politically disaffected (or politically touched in the head) Americans can come up with to organize around? P.T. Barnum is smiling in his grave.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.