Sunday, August 22, 2010

Mokyr's "Enlightened Economy"

I just finished reading Joel Mokyr's magisterial treatment of the various intellectual and economic forces that gave rise to the industrial revolution in England, The Enlightened Economy: An Economic History of Britain, 1700-1850. It is certainly the most comprehensive treatment of the subject I have ever read. I learned something on every page.

I hesitate to recommend Mokyr's book to a general (i.e., nonacademic)  readership only because of its academic/analytical tone. This is not a popular history book of the Barbara Tuchman or David McCullough variety. That said, Mokyr writes with sufficient clarity that I think nonacademic readers could get a lot out of the book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.