Wednesday, August 11, 2010

The Healing Process

Recovery from soft tissue injuries sustained in a bike crash is not a linear process. Improvement is not steady and continuous. Sunday afternoon and Monday, I noted substantial improvements, particularly in my ability to walk and otherwise move around. Tuesday,  I did not notice any improvement. Meanwhile, the pain has grown tiresome. In other words, the pain in my ass is becoming a pain in the ass. (I can empathize with people who suffer from chronic pain.)

I haven't yet missed being on the bike. The weather this week is hot and humid enough that I am content to stay indoors; and the pain in my lower back and hips is substantial enough that I don't think I could mount a bike, let alone ride it. I do hope, at least, to be able to spin softly and briefly on the trainer in the basement by this weekend. But I'm definitely not going to attempt to accelerate the healing process. I am listening to my body, and it's cursing me for crashing it.

The good news is that I can sit for long periods of time in relative comfort (getting up is another matter), which means I can get some serious work done, as I have for the past two days, working on a conference paper that was technically due on Monday, but which I hope to complete by next week (which counts as on time or even early in the academic world).

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.