Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Where's Jens?

If you're wondering, like I was, where Jens was during today's horrifically difficult stage of the TdF, he finished with the gruppetto - the sprinters and other large men who are allergic to hard climbing. Why was Jens way in the back? Unfortunately, he crashed on the descent from the first climb of the day, up the Col de Peyresourde. Here's what happened in Jens's own words (quoted here at Velonews.com):
“I’m doing 70 kilometers an hour on the first descent when my front tire explodes,” explained Voigt. “Before I hit the asphalt I actually manage to think that this is going to hurt. Both knees, elbows, hands, shoulders and the entire left side of my body were severely hurt.

“My ribs are hurting but hey, broken ribs are overrated anyway. Fortunately, I didn’t land on my face this time and I’m still alive.

“I was offered a ride on the truck that picks up abandoned riders but I’m not going to quit another Tour de France. Now there’s a rest day and Paris is not that far away.”
UPDATE: There's a great photo of Jens chasing to catch on to the gruppetto riding a junior-size loaner bike here. Check out those toe clips! He is truly amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.