Sunday, July 4, 2010

I'll Take Basil Rathbone Anyday

I'm not much of a movie-watcher. I watch only a few films each year, and usually not in theaters. This evening, my family persuaded me to watch the latest Sherlock Holmes film staring Robert Downey Jr on Pay-Per-View. As a  fan of the Doyle stories, as well as the old Basil Rathbone/Nigel Bruce films, I thought it might be worth a look. I was wrong.

It was a pathetically bad action movie, filmed in a style reminiscent of the Harry Potter films (which I generally prefer to this tripe), only darker and more violent. Whenever Downey Jr. said anything, I had a difficult time understanding through his fake English accent (I had no such trouble understanding Jude Law), and I was put off by Downey Jr's over-acting, for instance in the dinner scene with Watson's intended fiancee.

I gave up on the film after about 20 minutes. I think I'll watch the end of today's Tour stage for the third time instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.