Saturday, July 24, 2010

Hot, Hot Ride

The group started from Fishback at 7:30 this morning to beat the heat. It didn't work. About a dozen of us did the full ride down to Pittsboro, the up to Lebanon, Elizaville and Kirklin, before heading back to Fishback via Whitestown and Zionsville. In total we racked up 68 miles (not including my ride to and from the ride) at an average speed of 20.2 mph. The group would have been faster, but I threw out the anchor several times. When we started the ride, the air temp was already 78(F). By the time we finished, the air temp was 88, with a heat index over 96, and the road temperature, particularly on some of the fresh tarmac, was hotter than that. You could feel it radiating right up your legs. It was hot, hot, hot. Did I mention the high humidity? Or the 10-12 mph wind from the WSW?

As soon as I got home, I made a pitcher of half water, half Cran-Raspberry juice. I downed about a liter of that (or more) before I could even say hello to Mrs. Cyclingprof.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.