Sunday, March 7, 2010

Wilderness Warrior

I am now up to Chapter 22, page 631, of Douglas Brinkley's massive 800+ page tome, The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America (Harper 2009). I have to confess, during the first 200-300 pages, I almost put the book away. I thought it was simply too big, bigger than it needed to be. But I'm glad I didn't stop reading because I have gotten caught up in all the stories, including the mini-biographies of the many tangential figures, who figured in Roosevelt's various conservation and hunting trips. My admiration for Roosevelt - already quite high from several previous biographies - has grown, as has my admiration for the remarkable achievement of Brinkley, in pulling all of this information together and present a truly comprehensive history of Roosevelt as the conservationist supreme.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.