Wednesday, March 24, 2010

"The Museum of Innocence"

I just finished reading Orhan Pamuk's, The Museum of Innocence (Knopf 2009). I have been a fan of Pamuk's work since he published Snow in 2004, which is still my favorite of his books. Known for the emotional aloofness of his writing, and an increasing propensity to a form of post-modernism in some of his more recent works, The Museum of Innocence seems almost an antithesis of all of Pamuk's previous novels. The writing, as always, is beautiful, but the narrative seems more accessible than usual, and he tells the story in a more straightforward way.

I did not learn as much about Turkey or, for lack of a better word, Turkishness from this book as from Pamuk's earlier novels. The characters, while fully realized, did not elicit from me either sympathy or empathy, although perhaps that was not Pamuk's intention. What appears to be a heart-rending romance is really, at bottom, a tale about the destructive potential of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder. As such, it was not an easy book to read.

1 comment:

  1. I am reading Snow.The above sounds extremely relevant to modern materialism and the worldwide economic decline-especially in Europe.

    ReplyDelete

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.