Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Books I'm Reading



The first of four volumes of Anthony Powell's, A Dance to the Music of Time. I so enjoyed reading C.P. Snow's collection of novels, Strangers and Brothers, that I thought I'd give Powell's 12-novel collection, written between the 1950s and 1970s, a try. I've just started reading the first novel in the series, A Question of Upbringing (1951), but two things are already apparent to me: Powell is a better writer than Snow, but lacks Snow's academic orientation (which I, of course, enjoyed). 


UPDATE: I'm about to give up on Powell. He's a very good writer, but the story is simply not grabbing my attention. My fault, I'm sure.



Douglas Brinkley, The Wilderness Warrior: Theodore Roosevelt and the Crusade for America. A huge (too huge?) book, but must reading (I suppose) for someone (like me) who teaches Natural Resources Law. 


UPDATE: I'm learning a good deal about creative measures President Grant and others took in the mid-19th century to protect valuable natural resources, including Yosemite. Fascinating.
  

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.