Monday, November 2, 2009

To Go Or Not to Go?

I'm on the fence about attending the annual meeting of the Association of American Law Schools (AALS) in January. It is the law school conference, akin to the AEA/ASSA annual meetings, which are held the same weekend but almost always in a different city, unfortunately.

Reasons to go:
- The AALS is returning to New Orleans for the first time since Katrina.
- My sister and her family live in New Orleans.
- I haven't been to the annual meeting in several years.
- I would see friends I rarely get to see otherwise.
- Great food.
- New Orleans is fun.

Reasons not to go:
- As a conference, the AALS annual meeting is the absolute worst, regardless of price.
- The AALS is very expensive.
- I find law conferences less interesting, as a rule, than social science conferences.
- I find conferencing generally to be stressful.
- Flying my whole family to New Orleans would be expensive.
- I am behind on writing projects that need to get done.
- I don't care about "networking."

It's definitely a tough call.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I actively moderate comments for spam, advertisements, and abusive or offensive language.